Saturday, April 16, 2005

I finally have a picture of my sweater in progress:

I took this on the second day of working on the project, but I am actually almost done with it now... except that I ran into a problem & now I have a question for everyone who is making non-puffy sleeves.

How are you all doing it??

I just knit straight, but the bind-off edge is a tiny bit too snug, even though I bound off with bigger needles to try to make it loose. Then, I frogged the sleeve and worked a few increases at the seam edge, but this messed up the shape of the sleeve, so I frogged again. I was thinking of trying to knit the garter stitch band with size 10.5 needles to see if that would make it a little looser. I just need like another centimeter of space for my arms to be comfy. It is frustrating me.

I think part of the problem is that I knit the sweater with angora (it was my first time knitting with angora) and it doesn't have very much stretch. Anyhow, I would really appreciate any advice on how to make non-puffy sleeves for this sweater.

Thanks!

6 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

Well, I don't have an answer for you as I haven't started yet, but I just had to say the angora is gorgeous!!!!

April 16, 2005 6:53 AM  
Anonymous Leigh said...

no advice from this side, either, because i'm sticking to the puffery, but that angora is lovely. it will look so pretty finished!

April 16, 2005 8:45 AM  
Anonymous Cirilia said...

OMG, what is that increase method you're using?! A yarnover? It's so pretty!

I think some people have omitted one row of the sleeve increases...but I'd have to double check. Check out the link for the Craftster thread, as almost everyone de-puffed.

April 16, 2005 8:49 AM  
Blogger Danielle said...

For my sleeves, where it says to k3 m1, k3 m1 to end; row 17, I did k6 m1, k6 m1 to end. I did that both times it tells you to do that row, I ended up with hardly any poofyness, and it still hung well. Then later when you're working the sleeves themselves, do k6 k2tog, k6 k2tog. I hope that's what you were looking for.

April 16, 2005 4:43 PM  
Anonymous Mo said...

Wagh! That's so cool! The angora just looks lovely, and the yo's are so suitable to the daintyness of it all! Good job!

April 16, 2005 6:26 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Hey, thanks for your help, everyone! I think I am figuring it out now. I am almost done & I will post the finished picture soon.
(cirilia: for the increases, I just knit to one stitch before the marker, did a yarn-over, knit one, slipped the marker, knit one, then did another yarnover.)

April 19, 2005 9:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home